Friday, February 12, 2010

Michel Fortin How Copy Relates To SEO

Melbourne SEO Services owner, David Jenyns interviews Michel Fortin. To listen to this interview, click here: Michel Fortin interview.

David: Hi guys, David Jenyns from the seomethod.com where we talk about different SEO training methods and SEO techniques and we’re extremely lucky and privileged to have one of the world’s premier copywriters here. He’s had twenty plus years experience. He’s sought out around the world for writing copy for some of the top internet marketers both on and off line. He’s been called ‘disgustingly good’ by the late great Gary Halbert. He’s written copy for John Reese, Yanik Silver, Sean Casey , Stephen Pierce, Mark Joiner, Frank Kern, Jay Abrahams, to name a few. He’s excellent at what he does. He’s extremely passionate about copywriting and I think that’s one of the things that makes him stand out for me. We’re very privileged to have him on the line and I’d like to welcome Michel Fortin.

Michel: Thanks David. I’m glad to be here.

David: Excellent. Now we’ll jump straight into it. This series is coupling a course that is primarily about SEO and I know you’re known for your copy. What I wanted to talk about was how copy relates to SEO, especially on page SEO and that sort of thing. When we talk about SEO it’s all about driving traffic and getting people to your site, and copy is all about converting that traffic once they get there. So to start, I would be interested to find out, you have a few different websites. I’d be interested to find out how you’re driving traffic to your sites.

Michel: Well, there are several sites I have in several business categories. You’ve got the content sites, that are ad supported, or ad generated and the money is made not so much in buying products but in people clicking on ads. And those I pay specific attention to SEO. But on sales sites where the main thrust of the site is about selling a product or a series of products, the goal is not so much on organic traffic. In fact most of these sites, the traffic is purchased through pay per click advertising. But there is some level of consciousness about making sure there are SEO things that are intact in the page.

Now there are various strategies and we could talk all day long about this and this is your strength. Mine is not SEO per se, I’m not an SEO expert by any stretch. But I do know there are a variety of different things that we do from the copywriting stand point in order to increase the SEO magnetization if you could call it that, of traffic, through for example, better keywords, keywords that are highly searched for, and especially keywords that match and meet a mindset of the people doing the search.

A lot of people can search a lot for one particular product but it doesn’t mean they are targeted. The most important thing I look at when I do some copywriting, especially paying attention to SEO, is not so much that I’m looking for traffic. What I’m looking for is quality. What I try to do is not choose words that are high search in terms of high search volume. I tend to look at long tail or mostly words that fit in a specific phrase that matches and is congruent with the mindset of the traffic.

When they hit my page, they hit my sales site, that frame of mind is so important, my copy needs to be congruent. I split tested it and some of my top clients have split tested this. We have found that when you have copy, especially in a headline, the H1 tag, if the copy matches what they’ve been looking for, if it matches the frame of mind, not just the keywords but the frame of mind of the searcher, not only are you going to increase traffic but you’re going to increase traffic of such high quality that it will convert far more.

Melbourne SEO Services owner, David Jenyns interviews Michel Fortin. To listen to this interview, click here: Michel Fortin interview.

1 comment:

  1. I read your article its really awesome and such helpful content..

    ReplyDelete