Tuesday, February 9, 2010

James Schramko Talks About Market Research for Websites

Melbourne SEO Services owner, Dave Jenyns interviews James Schramko. To listen to this podcast click here: James Schramko podcast.

Here is a sample of the interview below:

David: Hi guys, David Jenyns here from the SEO method talking about different SEO techniques and SEO training and we’re actually really lucky today to be joined by James Schramko. I’m extremely excited to chat with James. For me, he’s come out as super affiliate and he’s connecting with all the right people. He’s shared the stage with Jeff Johnson, Brad Fallon, Eben Pagan, Perry Belcher and a whole host of names. I think what I most like about James is the style in which he delivers his material. It’s very straight up, it’s very honest, he doesn’t hold anything back, and I suppose I’ve slightly pre framed this call. Not holding anything back, hopefully he gives us all his best stuff. I’d like to welcome James to the call.

James: How are you going David?

David: Excellent. Thanks for your time. I know it’s always hard to make time in everybody’s busy schedules. I’ll jump straight to it. Just to kick things off, this is all about the SEO method and how you drive traffic or how you drive traffic to your sites. When you’re first starting up a brand new domain and you’re about to start promoting that domain name, I would be interested to work through the process you go for promoting that domain name.

James: The first thing I would do when I’m setting up a new site is, I would do some research so I can plan out how I want to build the site around it. I come up with an SEO basic plan. I like to go for the SEO side of it. I like to have a good on page structure. I’m also going to use that research to drive my off page content pointing back to it. As you know, you have to have your links having the right words. You also have to pay careful attention as to what page you’re linking back to. Research is a big component of that.

David: When you say research, are we talking keyword research, I know you promote Market Samurai. Is that what you mean by research, or do you also mean looking into what other people are doing? How do you do that?

James: There are a number of things I’ll do for my research. Market Samurai is a great starting point. That would definitely help. There are more advanced things you can do as well, like actually run a pay per click campaign to find the high converting key phrases. Once you do, you can start matching your offers and going for higher conversions.

If you get you search query report going in your account with Google, then you can really get a feel for what sort of words people are finding a site for in the early phase. Then you can build out the site according to what the market’s telling you are high conversion type keywords. Everything I do is focused around buying keywords and going for the conversion.

David: Let’s say we take something from scratch, because I know you’re big into systems and systematizing a lot of what you do. That’s one of the ways I think you’ve been able to scale out what you’ve done so quickly. You’ve just registered a new domain name, you’re about to do some research. You figure out, yes, this is the product or whatever I’m trying to promote. You use some Market Samurai. Do you typically drive pay per click traffic first? When you go through the process, I know there are lots of things you can do, as far as in your systematized process, where do you start?

James: What I’m trying to do is accelerate my understanding of where the money is. So I will run some pay per click in the beginning to get data. I’ll use that data then to build more content. The content I’ll start distributing out across different networks using some of the things like Article Marketing. You’re probably familiar with that sort of stuff. Then I’ll use blog comments and then forums and press releases. I’ll also get links from other blogs by using some blog networks.

The combination of that is really going to power up the pages that you want to rank well and the ones that convert well.

Melbourne SEO Services owner, Dave Jenyns interviews James Schramko. To listen to this podcast click here: James Schramko podcast. If you enjoyed this treat why not check out Joel Comm.

1 comment: