Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Author Pete Williams

Entrepreneur, David Jenyns interviews Pete Williams. To listen to the mp3 click here: Pete Williams mp3

Here is a clip of the mp3.

David: Welcome to another call for theSEOmethod.com where we give free tips in SEO training. I’m very excited today to be joined by Pete Williams. You may have heard of him. He’s another one of the guys behind selling the MCG and that’s how I first got to know Pete. I’ve known him for many years now. He’s been a key player in the 30-Day Challenge.

He’s an author, speaker, Cleo Bachelor of the Year contender and entrepreneur. I suppose you’d say he’s a very successful business owner in his own right and I think that’s what I like most about Pete. He’s successful outside the realm of internet marketing so he’s really applying what it is that he knows. I’d like to welcome you to the call Pete.

Pete: Thanks Dave, and much appreciated. It’s good to be here.

David: Excellent. We’ll dive straight in. This call is all about driving traffic to your website through any means possible and also through the SEO basics specifically. To start off, I know you do a lot of work with your separate business outside of the internet marketing realm, which is in the telco area. When you’re setting up that website, how do you go about driving traffic to that website?

Pete: Sure. Well to put in context, my real world business or what I call my babysitting business is a telco company where we sell and install real world phone systems in offices around Australia. Most of our leads come from the web. So even though we’re a real world business with bricks and mortar offices in a couple of different states, we’re very much web- based in terms of the marketing side of things.

In terms of traffic, we’ve got two main sources of traffic, one’s pay per click and one is SEO. For the first couple of years, once we got the site up and running, we were very heavy with AdWords. We’re still a six figure spender a year on AdWords, very high six figures. We’ve actually found in the last couple of years that the SEO traffic we’re getting to our various sites in the network we have, far outweighs the pay per click traffic. So definitely SEO is our lead source these days.

We still find that AdWords is a strong player and primarily our main source when we’re trying to crack into a new market and get the traffic to the site and see what keywords are coming through and all the kind of stuff.

David: With the pay per click, what sort of keywords are you targeting for how you get clients in?

Pete: In my opinion, we’ve got two groups of keywords. We’ve got the actual specific product based stuff. To give an analogy to people, if we’re saying a shoe store, things like Nike shocks, or Nike structure, or the model type keywords if people are searching for particular products we sell. Then we’ve got the generic high level stuff, so running shoes, or Nike in general, very broad terms. That is the two buckets that I consider our traffic comes through.
David: From a conversion point of view I know when you do pay per click, you obviously monitor a lot of conversions, what is the difference you see between those two types of keywords from a user and conversion perspective?

Pete: It’s surprising actually. We’ve found in the telco niche in particular anyway, there is not a whole lot of difference in the conversion rates. My personal opinion is that I think people who are going through AdWords tend to be more buyers than SEO. This is unfortunately not backed up by some stats in front of me, but this is the gut feeling that I’ve always had and that I think plays out.

The market is getting wiser these days. Three or four years ago, people didn’t know the difference between the sponsored links and the natural listings on search engines like Google. So they just clicked anywhere they saw a relevant ad. People are getting more educated, they’re getting wiser to the way the whole search engine results page is laid out.

People who are looking for information go for the SEO natural links listings. They are familiar with how that algorithm works or is meant to work. People who want to buy stuff tend to go to the AdWords listings because they know they’re going to go to a store. No one generally does pay per click.

For information sites, you do pay per click because you know you’re going to make a return on your investment. That’s also my personal habit too. If I’m going to go on line and buy something, I tend to go to the pay per click listings. That’s what I seem to find in my experience is that is where the stores are, that’s where you’re going to get a better experience a lot of the time. That’s my quick take on the difference from a conversion perspective. Realistically, in the space we play it in the telco game standpoint, it’s pretty similar.

Entrepreneur, David Jenyns interviews Pete Williams. To listen to the mp3 click here: Pete Williams mp3. If you enjoyed this interview than why don’t you check out Jimmy Brown.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tips and advice. I have even gained knowledge just from reading this post.

    ReplyDelete